The best music producers in the business have been known to test their sounds using aftermarket car speakers to gauge the quality. However, they only do so in a vehicle fitted with the best. Choosing the best 6 3/4 Speakers when you are looking to upgrade your sound to producer-level quality, can be a daunting task.
However, if you break down the specs, determine your budget and weigh up the pros and cons, the decision becomes a lot easier.
Luckily for you, thats exactly what I have done with the reviews below so you can get the best 6 ¾ Speakers within your budget. Check out the top 3:
Keep reading on to discover what the top 6 3/4 Speakers to buy are.
Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime
Versatility and elegance
JBL GTO629 Premium
Highest Quality Car Audio
Best Value for Money
Best 6 3/4 Speakers – Detailed Reviews
Before getting into the meat and potatoes of this review it is important to note that any car that can fit a 6 3/4″ speaker can also fit a 6 1/2″ speaker. The reason for that is because these two designations refer to speakers that fit into a cutout hole within a specific size-range.
The cut-out hole, size ranges are as follows:
6 3/4″ speakers: Between 5.2″ and 5.7″ diameter cut-out holes
6 1/2″ speakers: Between 4.8″ and 5.2″ diameter cut-out holes
This is just to say, that any of the speakers on this list should work with any car currently fitted with 6 3/4″ speakers. You may want to make sure that the speaker comes with adaptor brackets for the different hole patterns. Find out more about the difference between 6 3/4″ and 6 1/2″ speakers here.
Furthermore, before buying, you may want to look at the 2 Way vs 3 Way Speakers. This article includes both 2 way and 3 way Coaxial Speakers so its a good idea to get clued up.
Now that we’ve cleared that up, lets dig in:
1. Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime
Our Top Pick – Simple, Versatile and Elegant
This speaker is a typical 45 dollar coaxial 2-way, which means there is no debate regarding output clarity. Furthermore, the R1675X2 speakers are designed to fit snugly in the space where the stock ones were so you don’t need any modifications.
Many aftermarket speakers have exotic designs, but these speakers by Rockford Fosgate prioritize practicality over looks. This means that they will be compatible with a wide range of vehicles with their simple, elegant design.
- These support a maximum of 180W.
- 4.6 pounds in weight.
- Tweeter dome is made from silk material.
- The tweeter is attached to a crossover that comes integrated with the speaker and is specifically high pass configured.
- Steel bracket enables a firm installation that will boost longevity.
- Occupy a depth of 5 inches.
- They output a full range of frequencies.
- Dimensions of 16 inches by 8.3 by 4 inches.
2. JBL GTO629 Premium 6.5-Inch Co-Axial Speaker
The Premium Pick for the Discerning Audiophile
These high-priced JBLs are as premium as you can get when it comes to aftermarket coaxial car speakers. Every audiophile may rate these speakers as the standard when it comes to upgrading your car stereo.
The JBL GTO629 JBL is created with superior speaker technology that ensures that they produce cleaner audio at all volume levels. Simply put, the high price is worth it even despite it costing around 4-5 times the other options.
- They weigh 5.7 pounds, which is massive compared to the others on the list.
- Audio clarity of 53 hertz.
- 180 watts of power.
- The cones are made from carbon, which results in increased bass.
- They utilize UniPivot, which is a revolutionary, patented tweeter technology.
- An adaptive crossover that manipulates the lows and highs to suit your needs.
- Makes the most out of your car power with an impedance of 3 ohms.
- Crafted from robust material that boosts the lifespan of the speakers.
- Designed to fit any vehicle setup.
3. JVC CS-J620 2-Way Speakers
Best Value for Money
Do not confuse these JVCs with the Pioneer 2-way speakers because these are slightly more powerful. They are also on the cheaper side but quality-wise, the CS-J620 speakers can go head to head with other expensive two-way aftermarket speakers.
Although these coaxial vehicle speakers are delicate, they were designed to last longer. So, if you’re looking for the right choice of replacement to your well-worn stock speakers, these may be for you.
As far as this list of the best 6 ¾ speakers goes, the CS-J620 is the cheapest. Regardless, they pack a punch and are worth consideration.
- 6.5 inch diameter.
- Weighs just 2.2 pounds, similar to the Pioneer.
- They pack a hybrid surrounding.
- Impedance of four ohms.
- The cone is made from the material called mica.
- Woofer is made from ferrite and the tweeter from neodymium.
- Capable of 300w of power and 30 RMS.
- They have a sensitivity of 92 decibels.
- Frequency response ranges between 35 hertz and 22 kilohertz.
4. Pyle PL63BL 6.5 Inch 3-Way Sound Speaker System
High Quality at a Great Price
The speaker type, known as a component, is unpopular with extreme audiophiles compared to coaxial sound systems. However, the component speaker Pyle PL63BL priced at 24 dollars, is rated as a top 6 ¾ speakers to buy.
It’s piezo ¾ tweeter ensures that one speaker pumps out surround sound, so you don’t need additional purchases or configurations.
The speakers are attractive to look at mainly because of the blue cone and the curved tweeter design. Furthermore, the Pyle PL63BL 3 way speaker is known to work in high temperatures without distorting the audio.
These 3-Way-Pyle PL63BL speakers produce great audio quality compared to other models in the same price range. The Pyle component speakers are suitable replacements when upgrading from factory vehicle speakers.
Depending on your preferences, you can also have a look at their 2-way option which you can find at the same link below.
- Buyers have a choice between the 360 and the 180 watts.
- An inch of the voice coil ASV ensures better handling during high temperatures.
- It features a midrange tweeter that’s made from a film material called neodymium.
- Comes with padding of butyl rubber adds to the longevity of these Pyle component speakers.
- They have 20 to 95 Kilohertz response frequency so you can hear the change immediately.
- Capable of 4Ohms of impedance.
- These speakers occupy a depth of about 2 inches.
- Sensitivity of 89 decibels.
- They weigh one and a half pounds.
5. Boss CH6530 Car Speakers
Great Budget-Friendly Option
The CH6530 have a stunning design that matches quality audio production, making them one of the best 6 ¾ speakers around. They also come with aggressive processors that are designed to maintain a clean sound at all volume levels.
The sound produced from these speakers is adequately balanced across the frequencies to avoid distortions.
These good looking 3-way speakers cost only around 26 dollars should you want to install them in your vehicle. You need to purchase them from an online retailer to be eligible for a three-year platinum warranty.
- The cones are made from polyurethane, a material that boosts the lifespan of the speakers.
- Voice coils are designed purposefully to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Rubber padding protects them from tear and wear.
- Tweeters are piezoelectric, which means that they can function without crossovers.
- They offer an impedance of four ohms.
- They weigh two and a half pounds.
- Their response frequency ranges between 100 hertz and 18 kilohertz.
- Sensitivity is at ninety decibels.
- They can support a maximum of 300 W of power.
6. Pioneer TS-F1634R 2-Way Speakers
Good Replacement for Stock Speakers
Ask anyone to guess the brand of speakers in your car, and they’ll mention Pioneer. These particular Pioneers cost 27-dollars, and they only come in one color, black.
That happens to be a characteristic of most aftermarket speakers making them a a perfect replacement for factory speakers. Many audiophiles are surprised by the sound quality of these lower budget speakers.
When purchasing the TS-F1634R 2-way speakers, you also have to buy a pair of adapters and harnesses. The additional 20 dollar purchases will enable your installation to go smoothly.
- They weigh about two-point two pounds.
- One year warranty included.
- Four ohms of impedance.
- They support a whopping 200 watts of power.
- For installation, you require a depth of 1.62 inches.
There are a few important consideration when searching for 6 3/4 Speakers.
Here are a few High-level considerations:
- Price: Determine your budget and stick with what you can afford. There are a few great budget options in the above list.
- Dimensions and power: Make sure the speaker will fit into you vehicle and check that the output (Watts) are compatible.
- 2-way or 3-way speaker system: Many audiophiles prefer 3-way over 2-way but this comes down to your budget and preferences. If you don’t know the difference between the two, check out our article on 2-way vs. 3-way speaker systems (link).
- Check the Amazon Reviews: Click on the “check price links above and have a look at some of the customer reviews to get a sense of what previous buyers experienced after making a purchase.
On average, the best ¾ speakers are priced between 20 to 120 dollars. However, you shouldnot rely on price as the only indicator of quality or suitability. You need to consider what will suit your vehicle best.
More specifics to consider before purchasing a speaker include:
- The material is the speaker made from: This directly affects the longevity and quality of sound.
- Ease of installation: If you can install it yourself, you save money on a technician.
- Frequency and bass output: These two directly affect the audio experience while driving.
- Coaxial or component: The type of speaker will impact the quality of audio.
Why Bother Installing a better 6 3/4 speaker
Let’s start answering that question with another question:
Have you ever wondered why the same song sounds richer in your friend’s car…?
The answer could be that your friend fitted the vehicle with premium aftermarket sound systems.
You should never expect your stock vehicle speakers to produce premium sound because they are made from cheap material. On the other hand, aftermarket speakers are explicitly tuned for clarity and often made from higher quality materials.
So, one of the reason to upgrade your speakers is sound quality.
A simple test to find out whether you have quality car speakers is to crank that nob way up past the yellow part of the volume meter. If the sound is still crispy-clear, then chances are, you have the best ¾ Speakers on the market.
On the other hand, if they distort, you might want to upgrade to a better set.
Sound quality is not the only benefit of aftermarket 6 ¾ speakers, they also have the following advantages:
- May last longer than factory/stock speaker.
- Balances frequencies for better audio clarity.
- Eliminates or reduces distortion at high volumes and when temperatures are hot.
- Does not drain the car’s battery.
FAQs Surrounding 6 3/4 Speakers
1. How do I install a 6 3/4 speaker?
First of all, read and understand the installation manual that comes with your preferred aftermarket speaker. Then make sure you have the right tools for the installation. Having proper tools prevents any damage to the vehicle. Follow the installation guide to the letter.
2. What kind of difference will my 6 3/4 speakers make?
The sound will be evenly distributed in the vehicle. Music will be heard strictly as the producer had intended.
3. What are the advantages attributed to component speakers?
They produce a richer clarity on tone. Component speakers can effectively separate frequencies, which makes for a better listening experience. They offer the user an ability to control the quality of sound output. Audio imaging is enhanced when using component speakers in your vehicle.
4. Are 6 ¾ speakers compatible with factory stock radio?
Not all 6 ¾ speakers are compatible with stock vehicle radios, and in some cases, you will need to introduce an amplifier for the setup to work.
5. Does the price dictate the quality of 63/4 speakers?
No, price is not a significant determinant when choosing ¾ speakers. Expensive speakers come with more features, which does not necessarily mean better audio quality.
If you are looking to upgrade to the best 6 ¾ speaker this article has provided options that are considered to be the top-rated in their categories.
Upgrading your car speakers is a great investment in the your audio experience but they don’t have to break the bank. Various budget options are available which provide ample sound quality.
Extreme audiophiles with adequate budget may prefer the GTO629 by JBL whose cost brings an equivalent increase in sound quality.