As a very new user of LiPo battery, it would be a mess if you haven’t a proper idea about how to charge a LiPo battery for the first time? No worries! We are here and going to describe A to Z about LiPo battery and it’s other essential facts! Stay with us till the end and let us enlighten you. Photo Credits: Juan Carlos Llamazares.
LiPo batteries refer to “Lithium Polymer Batteries.” The LiPo batteries are gaining popularity in recent years that it is found in most consumer electronic devices.
Basically, these rechargeable Lithium polymer batteries present tremendous advancement in the technology of battery. LiPo batteries provide an array of benefits.
How to Charge a LiPo Battery for the First Time
The foremost question in buying a new LiPo battery is how to charge a LiPo battery for the first time? It is a must to know as it has certain chemicals within the battery pack enabling a longer shelf life.
Generally, the charge for the first time is slow, maybe at 1C. Then, you must discharge at a capacity of 50%. Once it should be done for five cycles and it is good to go.
Charging a LiPo Battery as Newbie
Most new LiPo chargers use balance charging. Balance charging refers to monitoring the cell’s voltage and charging them individually. This is done because each cell is slightly different.
This is the reason each cell displays a different voltage, and the capacity is different. The ideal way is to recharge the batteries. Chargers featuring balance charging automatically take charge of the difference.
Today, most LiPo chargers can be programmed as per choice that buyers can buy different types of batteries. This can vary with current or voltage, and include a few safety measures.
Safe Charging Tips
Charging LiPo safely with these tips is useful:
- Ascertain no exposed wires so that the charger and battery are in perfect condition.
- Check the LiPo battery settings before charging
- It is safe to know the charge rate of your LiPo.
- Charge the LiPo batteries in an area free from flammable materials.
- Always in the process of charging, ensure the charges is in view condition.
- Never expose the liPo battery to heat even in the process of charging.
Note: Avoid charging your batteries while taking a shower, leaving the house, sleeping, or situations where you are not present during the entire period of charging.
Knowing how to charge a LiPo battery for the first time is essential. However, you must know the battery charging time, and it is based on the charger and battery capacity.
For instance, having a battery of 1500mAH and 1AH charger implies you need a charging time of nearly 1.5 hours that is 1.5AH/1AH.
How to Select the Best LiPo Battery Charger: Steps to Select a LiPo Charger
In case you do not have a charger, pick a LiPo charger meeting your needs. The crucial pointers to pay attention to choosing a LiPo charger is:
- Current– Chargers are specified by a current as of the maximum. Yet, while you charge, ensure to charge at 1C current. Thus, for a battery with 2200mAh capacity, the charge rate must be 2.2Amps, and for a battery capacity of 1700mAh, the charge rate must be 1.7 Amps.
Some cells are safe even at higher current to charge. So, choose your charger as required for your batteries to offer maximum current.
- Voltage– There will be a lot of chargers capable of 6S or 8S, and it is adequate even for quadcopter batteries.
- Power- Power is voltage x current, and its maximum potential will specify the chargers.
LiPo battery charger, know here a few tips to use it
Referring to the charger, you will notice that each is different. It is recommended to go through the manual for specific questions about using the charger.
- Never charge a puffed battery, swelled, bloated, punctured, or damaged battery. Find out if it has nicks or cuts in the lead wires if you find any do not use them.
- Connect your charger to the main power connector of the battery.
- On the charger, connect the balance leads of your battery to the balance port.
- Place your battery safely in a LiPo bag.
- For AC Power, plug your charger into a wall or into another battery to get 12V power.
- Ensure to arrange the conventional battery.
- Some chargers allow choosing between balance and non-balance charging.
- Setting the current at 1C is optional. Avoid charging too high as it is dangerous.
- Set voltage, it should not be more than 4.2V/cell.
- Start charging
- Never leave your charger unattended.
Beginner’s Guide for LiPo Battery Charging and Using
How to Store LiPo Batteries
- Earlier, airplanes or cars were run until the batteries existed rand elater. The batteries were kept at home. It was stored dead, and this should be avoided strictly with LiPo batteries.
- Very importantly, the LiPo batteries should not be stored with a full charge. LiPos for longer battery life should be stored at 3.8V per cell at room temperature. The fact is that most computerized charges of this modern age have a LiPo storage function to charge the batteries or discharge them, whichever is essential to meet the voltage needs.
- LiPo Storage Voltage per cell is 3.8V. It is recommended to keep the batteries after each run-in storage mood. Though this is not essential, it is a good habit. Doing it regularly means you need not worry about the storage point.
- The fact is Lithium-Polymer batteries with full charge get damaged on sitting even for a week. Thus, remember to put at storage voltage your LiPos after using them.
- They should be stored in some sort of fireproof container. As LiPo is portable, people leave it in a LiPo bag so that it stays protected from catching fire.
- Remember that you can use fireproof safes, empty ammo boxes, and ceramic flower pots. All these prevent fire and stop anything untoward from happening.
- Commonly, improper storage is the main cause of the problem with LiPo batteries. As the LiPo batteries sit idle for a longer time, it will discharge itself. In case it drops per cell below 3.0V, the LiPo charges fail to charge. There may be a need to buy new batteries.
- Using batteries for seasonal activities means it must be stored for an extended time. It implies a battery maintainer is required as it controls the charger. It does not overcharge the battery, while the battery is available ready for use in any place, and it lasts longer.
LiPo Battery Maintenance Tips
Maintainers are the best for winter starting. A battery that is fully charged has maximum starting power.
- Place the battery on charge.
- Store it in a cold place, ensuring the temperature does not go down to 32 F consistently. However, all batteries lose charge on storage, and with low temperatures, the self-discharge is lower.
- After every two months, check the battery and, if necessary, consider recharging.
As LiPo batteries are the main in the RC hobby, the procedures and processes of all sorts are up. LiPos stored as an empty or full charge for over a week may result in permanent damage is claimed. It may also affect the discharging ability.
True Facts of Rechargeable Battery Chargers
- LiPo is the de-facto power source as it stores charge well and offers power discharge.
- They are the new battery type that is a convenient power source.
- Batteries are available in all sizes and shapes to supply power to power tools and types.
- Phone lines work even during a power outage as they feature lead-acid batteries.
- The rechargeable batteries offer back-up power for military operations and hospitals.
Other Important Facts
Americans purchase a lot of dry-cell batteries. They need these batteries to billions of numbers. They use it to power most of their electronics, namely, ‘radios, cellular phones, toys, laptop computers, watches, and handy power tools.’
Recycling batteries ascertain the heavy metals are out of the air and landfills. Thus, recycling saves resources, and new batteries are made using recovered metals and plastic.
Batteries have metals such as lead, mercury, nickel, and cadmium, that the environment can contaminate in case the batteries are not disposed of properly.
Reducing the batteries from reaching the waste stream is possible by buying rechargeable batteries.
Wet-cell batteries have a liquid electrolyte to powerboats, automobiles, or motorcycles.
Benefits of LiPo Batteries
The LiPo batteries benefits are:
- LiPo batteries feature large capacity, providing more energy such that even a small package holds power in lots.
- Lithium Polymer Batteries, even while discharging is good at offering a consistent power or voltage output. The power or voltage on reaching a discharged state is fast.
- LiPo batteries are useful in devices requiring less weight, such as thin laptops and smartphones, besides smart wearables owing to its compact size and lightweight.
- Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Batteries are safe from the explosion in comparison to the Li-Ion battery.
- LiPo batteries are suitable for most demanding vehicles. It allows high charge rates such that recharging is possible within an hour or even less.
How to charge a LiPo battery for the first time, and its main advantages are that they offer four times the energy of density of nickel metal or cadmium hydride batteries.
They are pliable and lightweight that they can be in any shape or size. They can be punctured, banged around, run, or dropped over, but it will not explode, thereby assuring more resistance than most other batteries.