A backup camera can be a major asset in your vehicle. However, you may not have a built-in screen or the desire to install one. In such cases, learning how to connect a backup camera to an Android phone can save you money without missing out on the benefits of such a camera.
Backup cameras can increase your safety as well as the security of others in your vehicle as also of those in other cars. You can get an additional pair of eyes to avert accidents and it can even potentially improve your vehicle’s resale value.
If you’ve installed an aftermarket stereo that has a large screen already, such as the Atoto A6, this article will also help you connect it to your backup camera.
You may also want to consider a GPS with backup camera which will provide navigation and reverse camera functionality.
What is a Backup Camera?
Backup cameras, also referred to as rearview or reversing cameras, are among the best safety aspects in the latest SUVs, trucks, and cars. In case your automobile does not have one built-in, you may purchase one and get it set up in it.
With this rearview camera system, you can get more peace of mind when it comes to visibility.
Backup Cameras Ensure:
- You do not have to face blind spots anymore. Looking back for a long time means that you lose valuable time in avoiding vehicles coming from the front. A backup camera can help prevent this.
- You can quickly back your car into parking spaces. Parallel parking and backing into car parking spaces can be tough, especially for beginners. There is no messing up with a rearview camera.
- You can find out what is there in the back, and also get a guide path with lines as wide as your vehicle. The lines can display the amount of space behind your vehicle and on its either side.
- When you are stuck in traffic, you can use a backup camera to know whether it is safe to back your car up. You can also spot whether a kid or pet less than 3 feet in height is there behind your vehicle and prevent accidents.
How To Connect Backup Camera To Android Phone: Complete Procedures!
Due to the fact that you are trying to connect an android phone to a backup camera, your options are limited. Phones generally are not built to receive video input so you need to buy the correct hardware to make it work.
Here are some of the options available to you:
WiFi enabled Backup Camera
This is your best option. There are a number of products available on the market that allow you to do this (some good options are listed below).
- LASTBUS WiFi Rear View Camera
- LASTBUS License Plate Wireless Backup Camera
- 4UCAM WiFi Backup Camera
- EWAY WiFi Magnetic Hitch Wireless Backup Camera Rechargeable Battery
If you have a WIFI enabled backup camera the process is as follows:
Installation will vary from product to product but essentially, it needs to be installed on the rear of your car using the camera’s instructions.
From there you will need to hook the camera up to a power source. These Wifi cameras are often used with trailers and RV’s which have built-in 12-24V DC power supplies.
However, if you connecting it to your car, you need to link it up to the License plate lamp so that it gets power when the car is on. Some cars will not provide power to your license plate lamp unless the headlights are on so be sure to verify this.
This article on how to install a reverse camera should help assist you.
If you want to avoid any installation, you can look at the rechargeable options like the Eway backup camera above.
2. Install App
Once everything is connected, you will need to install the app that works with your product. The name of the app or a link to the app should be included with your product.
3. Connect to WIFI
When the Wireless backup camera is on, it will emit its own wifi signal that you can connect to like a wireless router. Thus, making sure that your android phone has its wifi turned on, search for the backup camera from the list of available wireless networks and connect.
4. Open App
Now that the phone is connected to the camera via wifi you can simply open the app and you will be able to use your backup camera!
Specially designed backup camera that connects to phones using wires
There are a few backup camera products out there that will allow you to connect your android phone. However, these are difficult to find and also more difficult to install.
You are better off going with one of the wireless options. However, if you really want to look into this option, here is an android backup camera that allows you to connect the camera to your phone via Micro USB.
Connect Reversing Camera to an aftermarket car stereo
This video only applies if you have an aftermarket stereo that you would like to connect to your backup camera.
Type S Solar Powered Backup Camera: Most Effective Backup Camera (with easy installation)
Type S solar-powered backup cameras are another option to consider. They include a monitor but they are well priced and installation is really easy as you do not require an internal power supply.
Dedicated large screens for cameras are space-consuming, can obstruct your view, distract you while driving and clutter your cabin.
Such problems are eliminated with the app-based sensor type S solar-powered backup camera. There is no need for any additional equipment when you have this.
Here is a shortlist of S solar-powered backup camera features:
You can directly mount the sensor onto your car’s license plate in only a few minutes. Once you charge the camera initially, it would be ready for use with the help of the solar panels.
Type S sensors can detect all the hazards behind your car and send visual and audio warnings to your Android smartphone. The app can install quickly, and inform you how far objects are with immediate visual and audio notifications.
It has a small-sized sensor that is hardly apparent on cars and which does not cover your entire license plate. When you park the car, the sensor is shut down automatically by the G-Sensor technology.
This can keep your battery conserved the next time you require it. Such an option will not be distracting at the time of driving, and will still offer hazard warnings at the moment.
Effective & Long Lasting Solar Panel
Type S solar-powered backup camera has an efficient and large-sized solar panel, and there are no issues of having the sensor charged. The license plate mount is simple, and you can practically mount it on any car.
Automatic Alarm System
You can get automatic alerts to your phone from the camera. It will be easier to keep both hands on the car wheel and get hazard warnings. The sensor of the Type S is water-resistant.
Controlling Temperatures & Other Features
It has a wide operational temperature, which means there are no worries when it comes to the elements. The sensor is low-cost, functional, and comfortable.
It can remove needless risks every day that you might be facing while looking back over your shoulders, again and again, to find out whether there are any hazards behind your car.
Benefits Of Connecting Backup Camera With Phone
There are some important benefits of the same.
- It can help you to reverse your car, whether you are an expert or a novice driver. You can find out what your rearview mirror is unable to show you, making backup much more convenient.
- It can reduce the risks of accidents while backing up and save kids and pets. In the U.S, about 50 kids become victims of these types of accidents each week.
- You can get a clear view of the blind spot of the vehicle, and lessen the risks of backup collisions.
- As you transform your Android smartphone screen into a wireless backup camera, it can make the installation more feasible.
- There is no need to buy and set up a bulky camera monitor inside the car, spend a lot by way of installation expenses, and suffer a prolonged installation process. A big camera might also get stolen from your vehicle.
- One more benefit of using an Android phone instead of the camera monitor is the fact it may be connected to Bluetooth as well as WiFi. Due to this capability, it is more flexible.
So this is how to connect wifi camera to android phone and drive and back your car more safely. You may quickly put your phone in a horizontal or landscape mode, based on the kind of preference that you have.
Many mobile phones come today with a car phone mount that can be attached easily to a car dashboard or vent. You can connect/detach your phone easily from the car mount with a magnetic attachment.