How to replace door hinges on Chevy Silverado, have you any ideas? Do you know that there are several small things in this world, which are being used for some essential purposes but still no one knows about it? Photo Credit: Chris F
Here, we are going to discuss one such thing, which is being used at several places for some beneficial things, but no one knows about it.
However, the fact we are going to discuss in this article is door hinges for Chevy Silverado. Although these door hinges are being used at a number of places where there are doors installed.
But in this article, our main focus would be around door hinges on Chevy Silverado, and we will discuss a number of things about these door hinges such as their benefits, how to replace them and many such things.
Read More: Chevy Silverado Seat Covers & The Farm Jacks.
What Is The Car or Automotive Door Hinges
As you all know that for joining two things with one another, we had had to create a joint between them. So that they can join each other properly. The same is a door hinge; it works as a joint and has two different parts.
With the help of these two parts of a door hinge, you would be able to keep the door connected to the car body.
Moreover, car door hinges are the reason because of which you can get that swing motion in your Chevy Silverado car doors.
Let us have a look at the different parts of a door hinge.
01. The first part of a door hinge is a leaf, and this part is also called the wing. This part is called wing because of a reason, which is when you watch a door hinge from aside.
Also, you will notice one single part in between, and the other two will look like the wings. This part of the door hinge is connected with the body and the door.
02. The second part is the knuckle. This is a middle part, which is placed between two leaves, and this part is responsible for the smooth movement of doors.
If there were no knuckle, then you would not have been able to move or open your car’s door or any other door.
03. The third part is a tiny one but an essential part of a door hinge, and that is the pin. This is a long piece, which slides inside the knuckle with the help of which both the wings stay connected.
04. The fourth and last part of a door hinge is sleeves. The primary purpose of this part is that it helps in keeping the pin at a particular place in between the cylindrical part called knuckle.
Types of Door Hinges
You must be shocked to hear that! But, yes, there are several door hinges available in the market which are being used all over the world on doors of different types.
Basically, there are a total of two types of door hinges according to their usage, and those are Interior and Exterior door hinges. Which we are going to discuss below, and the second type of door hinges are Interior door hinges.
Let us have a look at those different types of door hinges and fetch some details about them.
Exterior Door Hinges
• The initial type of door hinge is the Butt Hinge, and this is also the most common type of door hinge. This type of door hinge contains two identical leaves, which are connected with the curled barrel.
Obviously, the primary benefit of this door hinge is that it can bear a lot of weight.
• The second type of door hinge is Flush Hinge, and the main motive behind the introduction of this door hinge was to make a door hinge that uses lesser space as possible.
As other door hinges have the knuckle exposing to the outside of the door, but in the case of this door hinge, there is no such knuckle exposing to the outside.
• In the third position of our list is Ball Bearing Hinge, and this is known as the most durable type of door hinge. Moreover, they could be installed over heavier and bigger doors easily.
• The fourth one is Case hinge door hinge, and this looks like a Butt Hinge, but the main difference between both the door hinges is that Case Hinge has more decorative styles.
• Fifth in the list is Hospital Hinge, and this type of door hinge can be used when you are trying to find a shorter door hinge. Their overall working is also the same as a butt hinge.
• At the sixth one is a unique type of door hinge, and that is Strap Hinge. This type of door hinges is used over the exterior doors mostly.
• At the seventh type of door, the hinge is Olive Knuckle Hinge, and the specialty of this type of door hinge is that it’s made up in the form of a letter H.
• The next type of door hinge is Pivot Hinge, and the use of this type of door hinge is that you would be able to use them on taller doors.
• Finally, it comes Heavy Duty Hinge, and they are thicker than regular hinges and as its name suggest these type of door hinges are made for more massive doors only.
How To Lubricate Car Door Hinges & Joints
Interior Door Hinges
• The first type of interior door hinge is double action spring, and these are the type of door hinges, which gets closed by themselves, as it contains a spring in it.
• The second type of butterfly hinge and they are called butterfly hinges because they look like a butterfly when installing on a door.
• Finally, comes Bi-Fold Hinge and this type of hinge can travel or open at a higher degree than any other type of door hinge.
This was all about different types of door hinges.
How To Replace Door Hinges On Chevy Silverado- The Complete Procedures
Let us have a look at the replacement process of door hinges of your Chevy Silverado step by step:
Step 1: The first step is to open the door and keep a jack below the door so that you can keep the door at the same place without disturbing it. Make sure that you are not bringing the door up or down in any way.
Step 2: The second step is to have a look at the hinges of your car door and check whether they need to get replaced or not.
Step 3: The third step is to pick up a hammer and punch on the hinge pins with the help of which you would be able to make them out of their holes easily.
Step 4: The fourth step is to pull the door out and keep a clear look at the wiring of your car’s door.
Step 5: The next step is to remove the wings, which are joined with the help of a bolt. You need to unscrew that bold, and it will come out automatically.
Step 6: Insert the bushing or wings and join them with your car door. You would have to change the wings from both sections one by one.
Step 7: Once new wings are installed, you would have to join both the doors and insert the new pins. Once you have entered the pins, punch them with a hammer so that they get wholly inserted in the holes.
Step 8: After all the steps are done, you need to apply the lubricant with the help of which your car door will open smoothly.
Learn To Replace A Car Door Hinge: A to Z
Advantages Of Door Hinges
Let us have a look at the advantages of Door Hinges
a. The first advantage of door hinges is that it helps you in opening a door easily without any chaos. Just assume that what if Door Hinges has not been invented yet, how hard our life could have been.
b. The second thing is that there are several door hinges, and every type of door hinge is created for a primary purpose. Let us have a look at basic doors;
They would have different kinds of door hinges, car doors would have different types of door hinges. Moreover, the same as that other types of door hinges are also created for a particular reason.
Why Do You Need To Change The Door Hinges?
There could be several reasons because of which you would have to change the door hinges. Some of those reasons are as follows
01. The first reason because of which you would need to change the door hinge is if it keeps on producing high noises, and even after applying lubricant, these noises don’t end.
Then, in this case, the only option left with you would be to change that door hinge.
02. The second reason because of which you would need to change the door hinges is when they get entirely rusted.
In this case, whenever you are going to change the door hinges, make sure this time you are going to buy door hinges made up of stainless steel.
03. The third case when you would need to change the door hinge is when it gets destroyed or damaged.
There are many more reasons because of which you would need to change the door hinges, but the above-listed are some of the most common causes.
Worldwide Popular Brands Of Door Hinges For Chevy Silverado
Here is the list of some popular brands of door hinges for Chevy Silverado
• Auto Body Doctors
• Chassis Engineering
• Merchant Automotive
These are some of the most famous brands that prepare door hinges for Chevy Silverado.
Here we have come at the conclusion of this article, in which we have discussed all door hinges for Chevy Silverado. Not only that, but we also had a look at the different types of door hinges, it’s benefits.
And we also learned how we could replace the door hinge of a Chevy Silverado on our own. Plus in the last, we have had a look at the popular brands of door hinge producers of Chevy Silverado.