In this article, you will learn how to reset check engine light without disconnecting battery stape by stape. The checking engine light is a malfunction indicator lamp which is a signal from your vehicle’s engine programmer that something is wrong in your vehicle. We cannot exactly point to any particular reason behind the pop up of check engine light in your car. There could be any of the issues; it could be a minor one or a major one.
Depending on the car manufacturer, the check engine’s light could be orange, yellow or amber in color. Sometimes, this light could be very irritating for you. Some people just ignore this light and they have a habit of driving vehicles without considering this, but one thing you should note here that you must consider the check engine light of your car.
Why It is Important to Reset Check Engine Light?
The reason behind the check engine light could be anything. It could be due to the gas cap is open and it could also be due to your car needs to be serviced. This is why when people see the check engine light flashing they get frustrating; they think they have to pay a big amount for servicing.
The check engine light symbol on the dashboard of the car notifies the driver when the car is in a problem. When that irritating light of check engine flashes, you become annoyed and all you want is to remove that flashing light.
You might be at a place where you can’t manage to find repairers to service your car. In this situation, you can reset the check engine light to avoid that annoying flash. But, you should not forget that your car was in trouble and you need to service it as soon as you can.
Sometimes, your car does not have any issue, but still check engine light flashes, just to get to remind that it’s time to service your car. And, many times, even after you fix the issue, still the check engine light doesn’t turn off, there you need to reset the check engine light.
Process of Resetting Check Engine Light
To know how to reset check engine light without disconnecting the battery, just follow the below-given 7 step process carefully and you will be able to reset it easily:
Get an OBD2 Scanner
If you already have an OBD2 Scanner available with you, then you can easily reset the check engine light on your car dashboard without disconnecting the battery. If you don’t have, then you must pick the best one from the available choices.
Plugin the OBD2 scanner tool to the car’s OBD2 port
The next step is to plug in your OBD2 scanner tool to the car’s OBD2(on-board diagnostic) port. The port will be located under the steering column of your vehicle.
Switch on Ignition and turn off electronic accessories
Once you plug in your OBD2 scanner to the port of the car’s OBD2, the next thing you need to do is to switch on the ignition and turn off all the electronic accessories.
Depress the “Read” toggle
Then, you have to depress the “read” toggle on your OBD2 code scanner tool so that you can see the engine’s trouble codes.
Copy the codes
After you will depress the “read” toggle, you will see all the trouble codes on your code scanner. You just need to copy them so that you may use them in the future when there will be a need for the car repair.
Depress the “Erase” or “Clear” toggle
At last, you just need to depress the “Erase” or “Clear” toggle on your OBD2 code scanner tool. By depressing the clear or erase toggle, it will erase all the trouble codes.
The check engine light will be reset automatically
That’s it! You just need to follow the given steps carefully and your car’s check engine light will be reset automatically. This way you can easily turn off the check engine light of your vehicle without disconnecting the battery.
Watch the Video Till the End to Learn the 3 Stapes: Reset Check Engine Light
Some Simple Tips How to Reset Check Engine Light without Disconnecting the Battery
As you have seen, resetting the check engine light without disconnecting battery is so simple, but consider the following tips at the time of resetting check engine light:
- At the time when you see that your car’s check engine light is flashing, try to understand the issue first. There could be any reason behind the flashing of the light.
- The car’s check engine light is the warning that your car is in problem, you must consider the warning and take action on it, not just reset it.
- Never ignore the check engine’s flashing light because your car might have a minor issue or a major issue, if you don’t repair it as soon as possible, it might get into an expensive affair.
- The main thing you can check in your car is the gas cap. This is the basic thing you can check by yourself. Sometimes, check engine light flashes only due to the gas cap is not fit properly.
- Some of the common reasons behind the car’s engine light getting turned on are due to faulty vent valves, emission control issues, and holes in the vacuum lines.
- Another important tip you should consider is that you should not reset or turn off the car’s check engine light without knowing and fixing the issue or getting your car to the mechanic.
- If you have fixed the issue in your car and still the car engine’s light flashes, it means your car must have another issue as well. In these situations, it is advisable to get your car for servicing.
Hence, the flashing of the car’s check engine light is the warning from your car’s engine computer that something is wrong in your car. In this situation, resetting the light without knowing an issue is not the solution.
You can follow the given process in the article if you have already fixed the issue and still light flashes. So, to help you out, we have discussed how to reset check engine light without disconnecting battery.