One of the most unfortunate events, that happens to many car owners, is their vehicle’s windshield getting cracked. Windshield crack repair is costly and even more so if you leave it too long and need a full replacement.
There is good news though.
If it is just a crack or a chip, there are products you can use by yourself to repair the windshield crack and save you money at the same time.
Below are 10 windshield crack repair products you can use to prolong the life of your windshield and save you money.
I have handpicked some of the best options in the industry ranging from professional level kits to quick, affordable solutions and provided a buying guide to help your decision.
Windshield Repair Kit
Simple and easy to use
GLISTON Car Windshield Repair Kit
Cheap and effective
Top Windshield Crack Repair Products
The following ten products are the most effective in the industry. They comprise several different techniques and technologies, but the overall result will be the similar.
Depending on the nature of the crack'(s) in your vehicle’s windshield, you may want to use a specific product over another. You will also want to consider the level of skill required for each product.
In this list there are full windshield repair kits, which are of a professional level, as well as kits that anyone can pick up and use. Let us take a closer look at each product in detail.
1. Rain-X 600001-6PK Windshield Repair Kit
Best Overall Windshield Crack Repair Product
This is a very easy to use and affordable kit that is useful on repairs for single plane glass. Use it to prepare multiple windows. It will fix the window in only a few minutes.
This is our recommendation for an easy-to-use kit which does not require professional know-how.
- Weight: <1 pound
- Size: 1 x 4.38 x 8.56 inches
- Brand: Rain-X
2. Clearshield Windshield Repair Kit
Most Professional Windshield Crack Repair Product
This product is easily the best fit for people who are professionals. It may not necessarily be the easiest to use, but it will get the job done if you know what you are doing.
It includes all of the tools and pieces that you need to prepare any crack in your windshield.
- Weight: ~6 pounds
- Size: 16 x 8.38 x 8 inches
- Brand: Clearshield
3. GLISTON Car Windshield Repair Kit
This is useful on cracks up to 12 inches in length. It is incredibly easy to operate and it creates a very high-strength seal.
It includes a four-legged, suction cupped device to administer the solution which allows for precision and ease of use.
- Weight: <1 pound
- Size: 8 x 5.4 x 1 inches
- Brand: GLISTON
4. American Mini Windshield Repair Kit
Most Compact, Professional-level kit
This professional repair kit is one of the most compact on the market. The base kit includes a DVD with instructions on how to use it.
If you are a mechanic they also include instructions for working with insurance companies.
- Brand: American Windshield Repair Systems
5. Tri Glass Basic Windshield Repair Kit
Professional Crack Repair at an Affordable Price
There is enough resin in here for you to repair over 200 cracks in your windshield.
This kit includes everything that the professional needs to fix a windshield and does not require the use of electricity like the above Clearshield kit. It is perfect for the value-oriented professional.
- Weight: ~6½ pounds
- Size: 16 x 10 x 10 inches
- Brand: Tri Glass
6. Blue-Star Do It Yourself Windshield Repair Kit
Most Affordable, Made in USA
This is one of the least expensive kits on the list and it can repair your window in under 20 minutes. It is also one of the easiest kits to use.
- Weight: <1 pound
- Size: 7.87 x 4.33 x 1.18 inches
- Brand: Blue Star
7. Permatex Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer
Best Bang For Your Buck
This silicone-based resin will create a waterproof seal that is resistant to changes in the weather. When you apply, and it can flow into difficult to reach areas and help to remove any surface irregularities.
It is one of the least expensive options available but it will not help with large crack and is primarily meant for sealing. You may want to purchase this along with one of the other options that it meant for larger cracks.
- Weight: <1 pound
- Size: 8 x 4 x 1 inches
- Brand: Permatex
8. RockPro Commercial Repair Kit
This repair kit includes all of the tools that you need to fix multiple types of cracks that you might find in your windshield. It will completely restore your windshield if you use it right.
One of the best things about this product is that it includes two different formulas for both hot and cold temperatures.
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Size: 11 x 5.5 x 2.5 inches
- Brand: RockPro
A Guide to Windshield Crack Repair Products for First Time Buyers
When you are looking at the different products available, it can be overwhelming. The following list of factors is the most important for you to keep in mind as you consider which option is the best.
- Reusable: always check to see if the product can be used only once or multiple times. You can use it multiple times; then, you will not need to rebuy it if the window breaks again.
- Sensitive To Temperature: Certain products only work in certain temperature ranges. Ensure that whatever product you use will work in the temperature range where you live.
- Specialized Crack Repair: There are multiple types of cracks in certain products that are more effective at fixing specific types. Find a product that is specialized for the type of crack in your windshield.
- Price Of The Product: Prices for these types of products can range considerably. They can be as low as under $10 or over $200. Always keep in mind what your budget is when shopping.
- Additional Considerations: Some people like to have customization options, or they would like to have a warranty included with their purchase. Double-check any product you look at to see if these options are included.
Why you should use a Windshield Repair Kit
- Affordable: When you consider the cost of replacing your windshield, it is far more affordable to have it repaired.
- User-Friendly: Almost all of the products include instructions so anyone can use them regardless of their experience level.
- Repair Damage without needing to fully replace windeshield: You can repair your windshield’s damage without replacing it and spending much money.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
- When To Repair Or Replace Your Windshield?
- If you are certain when to repair your window, the best way you can judge is based on the damage’s size. If the crack is larger than 12 inches, then you will likely need to have it replaced.
- Will my windshield crack continue to Expand?
- Most types of cracks in your window will indeed continue to expand over time. This is why it is important to repair them quickly.
- Can you use this on headlights or other parts of the Car?
- Most of these products are useful on all types of laminated glass so may be used on your car windows but I would not suggest using them on headlights.
- How will I know how to use the kit?
- The specific steps will differ depending on the brand you choose, but they all include instructions that are easy to follow along with regardless of your experience level. Some of the above options even include DVD’s to explain the process.
If you have had a damaged window recently, you might wonder what the best option is for you. You do not want to drive around with a damaged window for long as the crack will just continue to spread.
Windshield crack repair kits are a great option if you are looking to save money on getting a professional windshield repair. If you catch a crack early enough you can avoid replacing the whole pane which is a massive saving.
The products mentioned in this guide include options for professionals DIY masters as well as simple windshield crack repair kits that anybody can use.